Monday 14 February 2022

Bullseye

After my trip to the Watercress beds in St. Albans last week, I decided on another quick visit today. Last time I failed to connect with the bullfinches which visit the feeders. They are now getting very rare and difficult to see. Combining that with the fact they are stunningly attractive birds made it an easy decision.

After a short drive and a shorter walk I was the only person at the reserve. I quickly found the feeder was attracting the redpolls to come down for their breakfast.


I didn't have to wait long before the bullfinch pair put in an appearance this time. First the female
and then the male came in.

The male in particular was keen on feeding-up and in the low sun his colours really popped!



By now the crowd had grown to two of us as one of the locals joined me. We where then joined by a pair of water rails which apparently are getting quite tame. Early on they come to the nearby pool to wash and clean themselves then separate off to feed!


Quite how they always manage to get a reed or bit of grass between them and the camera I don't know!
They soon disappeared out of view so I took that as my cue to leave. Up to 152 on the year-list now.





No comments:

Post a Comment